Academia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind and Body

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Complaints.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BardoXV

Complaints.  Empty
PostSubject: Complaints.    Complaints.  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 12:16 pm

I hear older people complaining about how younger people are always on their cell phone, tablet or some other electronic devise texting, or something similar, with others.  The complaint seems to be that they are loosing the connection with others because they are not face to face, but what (if anything) have they lost and what have they gained.    Face to Face you need to be within a limited distance to have any interaction, with the electronic medium you can interact with others anywhere in the world, and at some point, perhaps off world.  People occupy an environment, young people are creating a new kind of environment whether older people like it or not.    What is society but people interacting with each other?   Perhaps when everyone is interacting with many others from all over the world, there will be less tendency to want to destroy someone that you have been talking to.   It's easy to say that we should destroy some anonymous "they", but how easy is it to want to destroy someone, when you know their name?
Back to top Go down
Erik

Erik

Male Posts : 376

Complaints.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complaints.    Complaints.  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 12:28 pm

BardoXV wrote:
I hear older people complaining about how younger people are always on their cell phone, tablet or some other electronic devise texting, or something similar, with others.  The complaint seems to be that they are loosing the connection with others because they are not face to face, but what (if anything) have they lost and what have they gained.    Face to Face you need to be within a limited distance to have any interaction, with the electronic medium you can interact with others anywhere in the world, and at some point, perhaps off world.  People occupy an environment, young people are creating a new kind of environment whether older people like it or not.    What is society but people interacting with each other?   Perhaps when everyone is interacting with many others from all over the world, there will be less tendency to want to destroy someone that you have been talking to.   It's easy to say that we should destroy some anonymous "they", but how easy is it to want to destroy someone, when you know their name?

Old timers tend to be hostile to what's new.

I think the internet and all these technologies are great, if used for the right reasons and in moderation, but yeah, it is possible to get addicted and lose connection with the ' real-world', for lack of better words.

Baudrillard claimed that there isn't even a ' real ' anymore --- that the 'real' has become inextricably blurred by the ' unreal ', due to the constant flow of media, symbols, etc ( see ' New media invasion ' ).

The interweb has a lot to offer, and we as academics ought to take full advantage of it, but we can also have great, edifying experiences in the external world too. Balance is key.

Edit: people can be pretty nasty online too, even more so actually, due to reduced inhibitions caused by anonymity (  people can get away with expressing themselves more, without the usual real-life ramifications ), just check out the youtube comments on basically any video and you will see what I mean haha.

Mind and Body
Back to top Go down
https://mindandbody.forumotion.com
BardoXV

Complaints.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complaints.    Complaints.  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Erik wrote:

Edit: people can be pretty nasty online too, even more so actually, due to reduced inhibitions caused by anonymity (  people can get away with expressing themselves more, without the usual real-life ramifications ), just check out the youtube comments on basically any video and you will see what I mean haha.

Mind and Body

I must agree, but I don't like it, that being said there are many that I have encountered on the internet that I would have no interest in meeting face to face. But knowing them as a human being also means that I don't want to see them come to harm. On another forum I encountered a person with whom I totally disagreed on several important points, but not seeing him post caused me to be concerned for his welfare. Disagreeing with someone usually does not lead to thoughts of violence, perhaps pity, thoughts of violence are easy against the anonymous "They".
Back to top Go down
mannequin
Διονύσιος

Male Posts : 250

Complaints.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complaints.    Complaints.  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 5:25 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with technology at all, there is still a person behind the computer. People know what they are doing, the abuse is natural, wanting to hurt and destroy somebody, nor do I think it's case of liking or disliking, or right or wrong, just is. Technology just makes it easier, it still takes place elsewhere or takes on a different form. War is the raw form of it, then things like business's trying to out compete and literally destroy each other, thus people behind those business's lose everything. People climbing the social ladder in the work environment, doing what ever it takes, stepping on everybody else to get ahead.

Just like when you get a girlfriend and you start noticing all kinds of shit that you didn't notice before..like when you're holding her hand as you stroll down the streets in the city and all the men come out of the woodwork, staring at you with jealousy and, sometimes, sheer hatred, all because you have a lady..and it never stops..the more attractive she is, the more intensity that situation has..and then the potential for even more bullshit..

I once had a lesbian friend, her name was Sarah, I went out with her to a lesbian joint just for fun, she told me, if a women comes in here with her partner then all the other women will try to break them up.

Of course, not everybody is like that though. There is variations of people's natures, just like their are variations of people's personalities, and unfortunately, there is much pleasure found in cruelty, nastiness, bullying, character assassination or blatantly killing another person... some people feed on it.

Personally, I've never believed in a real world, a society or community, and it has nothing to with being negative, although it might have something to do with being introvert. Extroverts need to believe those things exist, gives them comfort and happiness etc .. Just like people need to believe all kinds of stuff exist, just so they can get by.. I believe these "real" world society people are the one's who are out of touch.

I don't think there is anything to externally be connected to at all, I just think you are naturally connected by default, and continue to be until death, even then i'm not sure if there is any disconnection. You know where the confusion is, it's just a social factor of feeling accepted and validated, that's all. Once you kind of get over that, you know, trying to impress or aiming to please others, then you realize the freedom you have, which has always been there.. Why do everybody have issues with understanding this?

I once overheard a conversation these two teenage boys were having, one of them said "the real world is fake".. I guess he can see through it. I don't know, maybe I'm just weird or something, but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything to say specifically! Like, in the sense that there is a correct way of doing things..it's all chaos, and that doesn't have to refer to violence neither, just thoughts, chemical reactions etc there's just a whole bunch of differences taking place..Everything else, such as morality, religious life styles, status quos etc give a false perception of life..once you see through it all, then you will find reality. People always try to add reason to everything, or always slip in a few morals here and there to justify their own weakness. It's a tough ass world, the more you want, the deeper you dig, the more rougher and brutal it gets....especially if that which you want has anything to do with money, women, property, possessions, etc.. Even if you just want "nothing" and wish to be left alone, there will still be people around fucking with you, in fact, they will see your intentional isolation as an invitation. It's actually one of the 48 laws of power..

Law 18 wrote:
Do not Build Fortresses To Protect Yourself - Isolation is DANGEROUS.

You have to establish your value, you have to teach people how to treat you. The game of life is constant. People online always have a hard time understanding me because they never leave their fucking house, and when they do it is usually towards a very safe basic routine...

Yeah old people need to shut the fuck up and get over it, the highway is fast in this culture and you have to be young to ride. They have had their time! What they fail to realize is that things move on, the world moves on, human progression moves on..that's what makes things so special, everything has its time. They just have a hard time letting go that's all. One of the most beneficial things that you can ever do is mind your own god damn business! and pay attention to yourself.. the old fucks need to buy a hammock, grow some weed and smoke that shit like there's no tomorrow, because, for them, there probably isn't lol

Quote :
On another forum I encountered a person with whom I totally disagreed on several important points, but not seeing him post caused me to be concerned for his welfare.

Funnily enough, the prophet Muhammed you use to think in the same way. Every morning when he would make his way to the mosque to pray, an old lady, who didn't like him, would throw rubbish on top of his head as he passed by..he would just look up and smile..she would do this every day, and Muhammed would just look up and smile..until one day, as he walked by, nothing happened. Muhammed grew concerned and thought there must be something wrong with her, so he investigated and found that she was ill in bed, he then cleaned her house and bought her food, she later on converted to Islam. The point is, he turned her negative behaviour into a positive thing, as a sign she was alive and well. This is why he is loved so much.

Hold your own, my man.
Back to top Go down
BardoXV

Complaints.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complaints.    Complaints.  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 pm

mannequin wrote:

Yeah old people need to shut the fuck up and get over it, the highway is fast in this culture and you have to be young to ride. They have had their time! What they fail to realize is that things move on, the world moves on, human progression moves on..that's what makes things so special, everything has its time. They just have a hard time letting go that's all. One of the most beneficial things that you can ever do is mind your own god damn business! and pay attention to yourself.. the old fucks need to buy a hammock, grow some weed and smoke that shit like there's no tomorrow, because, for them, there probably isn't lol

Hey watch it, I'm one of those "Old Fucks" you were talking about, but I accept that the world is changing even If I don't want to change with it. I have a cell phone because I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure and my wife said I was getting one.

BTW, I don't drive slow, yet, and I often get upset when some slow driver is in my way, mostly older people but sometimes a young person. My wife drives way too slow for me, I'm glad I taught my daughters to drive, they drive just like me.
Back to top Go down
Trixie Celūcilūnaletumoon

Trixie Celūcilūnaletumoon

Female Posts : 107

Complaints.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complaints.    Complaints.  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 6:34 am

BardoXV wrote:
  It's easy to say that we should destroy some anonymous "they", but how easy is it to want to destroy someone, when you know their name?

I'd say I'd only want to destroy someone until after I know their name. Otherwise it's just a vague blob I'm hating on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Complaints.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complaints.    Complaints.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Complaints.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Academia :: άδης-
Jump to: