Academia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind and Body

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting things done

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mannequin
Διονύσιος

Male Posts : 250

Getting things done Empty
PostSubject: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 2:03 pm

How do you guys deal with getting things done? Do you write it down and then just follow the list?
Back to top Go down
Erik

Erik

Male Posts : 376

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 2:14 pm

mannequin wrote:
How do you guys deal with getting things done? Do you write it down and then just follow the list?

Yes, writing things down def. helps me overcome procrastination. I like having an organized, step-by-step system for accomplishing things.

Also, once you take the initiative and actualize the first goal, the rest come easily. As Schopenhauer said, " Just remember, once you get over the hill, you pick up speed".

Make a habit of excellence!
Back to top Go down
https://mindandbody.forumotion.com
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
Arcturus Descending

Female Posts : 161

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 2:18 pm

mannequin wrote:

That's one way of doing it - writing things down. We can't always trust our memory and a list is also like a qualitative measurement.

You have to think and make the decision about what things need to be done first. There is an order of priority. I also think that there is a bit of creativity about it.

But I think it's also a good idea to be a bit more flexible about it. Sometimes things in order of priority do change - some can be put lower in the order and some can be put higher - depending on what influences the change.

Back to top Go down
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
Arcturus Descending

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Erik wrote:
mannequin wrote:

Yes, writing things down def. helps me overcome procrastination. I like having an organized, step-by-step system for accomplishing things.

Also, once you take the initiative and actualize the first goal, the rest come easily. As Schopenhauer said, " Just remember, once you get over the hill, you pick up speed".

Make a habit of excellence!

But what determines for you being "over the hill" ?
If a list can and it does sometimes change in order of priority, what might appear to be "over the hill" for some might be the bottom of the hill for others.
Back to top Go down
Erik

Erik

Male Posts : 376

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Arcturus wrote:
If a list can and it does sometimes change in order of priority, what might appear to be "over the hill" for some might be the bottom of the hill for others.

For me, being " over the hill " means getting past the initial, difficult part of an obstacle.

Well, yes - depending upon the situation, the scenario could play out, as you mentioned; but in this context, it's not so relative.
Back to top Go down
https://mindandbody.forumotion.com
BardoXV

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am

mannequin wrote:

I am planing to build a set of book shelves, and for that project I will make a list and draw the plans to follow.

Today I was watching my wife go down our drive and she got stuck in the snow on one side. I watched her struggle, and then started putting my boots hat and coat on and was ready to step out the door when she called for help. No planning this time, just do it.

It depends on what "Things" need to be done, the trick is knowing what is the appropriate action to take, and then take it.
Back to top Go down
BardoXV

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 10:28 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:

Experience is the best teacher for this. Myself, I have been doing projects all my life and sometimes the course of action is obvious. For someone with no experience it could be all up hill, and in this case, find an experienced mentor.

One of the nicest complements I ever got was from someone buying from me on EBay. He was asking questions and I was providing answers and information. He finished one e-mail by saying, "I wish you were my neighbor, then I could ask you questions whenever I wanted."
Back to top Go down
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
Arcturus Descending

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

BardoXV wrote:

Experience is the best teacher for this.   Myself, I have been doing projects all my life and sometimes the course of action is obvious.   For someone with no experience it could be all up hill, and in this case, find an experienced mentor.

One of the nicest complements I ever got was from someone buying from me on EBay.   He was asking questions and I was providing answers and information.   He finished one e-mail by saying, "I wish you were my neighbor, then I could ask you questions whenever I wanted."  

You might have told him that with "email" the two of you were in a sense neighbors.
I can email a friend across the great pond or go into that chat format on email and voila - it is as though we were chatting across a neighborly fence. The internet makes us all neighbors no matter how close or distant we are. That has its positives and its negatives.
Back to top Go down
BardoXV

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 11:38 am

You might have told him that with "email" the two of you were in a sense neighbors.
I can email a friend across the great pond or go into that chat format on email and voila - it is as though we were chatting across a neighborly fence. The internet makes us all neighbors no matter how close or distant we are. That has its positives and its negatives.

I agree, and this is one of the ideas I try to present when someone complains that young people are loosing touch with other people when they are texting rather than conversing face to face.
Back to top Go down
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
Arcturus Descending

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 12:02 pm

BardoXV wrote:

I agree, and this is one of the ideas I try to present when someone complains that young people are loosing touch with other people when they are texting rather than conversing face to face.  

Personally, I don't so much like texting but it does have its proper times and places...which aren't always so much exercised - as in texting when driving, which is BEYOND STUPID to me, texting in the class rooms et cetera.

I personally like the face to face conversations or at least the more intimate one of phoning. The email chat format is pretty nice and intimate too, not so much in real time but close enough i suppose.

Quote :
when someone complains that young people are loosing touch with other people
With technology as it is today, we are losing touch with our own selves. We find it almost unbearble not to have our cells phones, whatever with us wherever we go. It's almost as though we feel lost without all of this technology.

I was in a doctor's office the other day and this so-called mother was texting and texting and texting while her young child was upset and crying in his stroller. She wasn't paying any attention to him but at the same time sometimes she'd yell at him for being upset and telling him to be quiet. I have a feeling that perhaps the same thing goes on at home.

I told her that perhaps she needed to pick him up and hold him and put away the phone and he would then stop crying. lol She told me it wasn't any of my business, which of course it wasn't in a sense but I then told her that his crying was disturbing me (which it wasn't) and THAT was my business. She just kept it up - texting and texting. Emotionally and intellectually speaking, we will never catch up to technology. It is one abuse after the other albeit there are definitely positives to it.

Finally, the receptionist had to tell her to calm her child. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting things done   Getting things done I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting things done
Page 1 of 1